birding-aus

Tabby cats and cat coat colour

To: "'Brian Fleming'" <>, <>, "'Michael Hunter'" <>
Subject: Tabby cats and cat coat colour
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 13:18:31 +1000
Hello Anthea,

You are part right. You use the words "ginger tabby-marked cats". That has a
redundancy, because ginger always show the tabby markings.  Female all ginger
cats are rare but they certainly exist. Sisters of ginger males can be black
base, tortoiseshell or ginger. To show ginger (my word equates to orange)
requires one ginger gene in a male but both ginger genes in a female (because
the gene is on the X chromosome).  The allele to the ginger gene is the black
gene. Because the black gene is much more common, by simple statistics (the
square of the gene frequency), having just one ginger gene is easy but having
both ginger genes is rare.

The other main aspect is that (ignoring for now any white), ginger always shows
the tabby pattern on the ginger parts, whereas black may or may not, dependant
on another gene. As well as the common tabby variants of blotched and mackerel,
is the rare Abysinnian that has tabby pattern mostly restricted to the face.

Also dependant on when in its embryology the switching occurs, in a
tortoiseshell female, the orange or black patches may be obvious big blotches
or completely mixed together.

41 years ago I did a study on cat coat colour genetics with the idea to
investigate whether ferals more commonly show a different phenotype to that of
an "unwanted" urban population. The idea being that more wild type phenotype
(especially black mackerel or blotched tabby) would be more common in ferals
than in urban cats. It was hard to get enough of a sample size. The results I
got then were supportive but not conclusive. At the time I did not fully take
in the idea about gingers are commoner in the inland. But I have since become
aware of the too. What I got was consistent with that too.

So of course I first had to learn the basic genetics. Of course I have only
mentioned the very basics.

Philip