birding-aus

Review: Craig Robson 2008/14 Birds of South-East Asia Second Edition [He

To: Koren Mitchell <>
Subject: Review: Craig Robson 2008/14 Birds of South-East Asia Second Edition [Helm Field Guide]
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:03:27 +1000
Yes, Mun did take us to a riverine park behind a shanty town east of KL where
there is a fishbowl for the kingfisher and an elevated log to put meal worms on
for the flycatchers and robins.  We walked around the wall to follow a track -
no guards to be seen.

The Malayan Partridges tend to turn up at the Frasers Hill stakeout around mid
morning and mid afternoon.  This time there were about half a dozen adults and
4 or so chicks.

Some of the stakeouts are beside the road - look for logs placed in odd spots
[they put the meal worms on top of the logs].  The Frasers Hill barbet site
literally had stake out for rock melons

Regards, Laurie

> On 21 Apr 2018, at 4:41 pm, Koren Mitchell <> wrote:
>
> Hi Laurie and all,
>
> I'm currently living in Kuala Lumpur, and I use both Robson and "A Field
> Guide to the Birds of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore" by Allen
> Jeyarajasingam (illustrations by Alan Pearson).
>
> I concur with your opinions of Robson, but unfortunately the other guide is
> no improvement. It has many of the same faults - no distribution maps, plates
> separate from descriptions, species listed in inconsistent order. I suspect
> that this last issue is because both books are second editions, and so much
> has changed both taxonomically and with species new to Malaysia.
>
> Furthermore, I find the illustrations in Jeyarajasingam to be too
> brightly-coloured and simplistic, for lack of a better word, compared with
> Robson. I find myself frequently just doing Google searches for photos to
> confirm IDs. There are a couple of photographic guides that show the "common"
> birds, but generally much better photos are available online.
>
> I just wish that someone would publish a "Where to find birds in Malaysia"
> book or web site. As you found on your trip, the practice of putting out food
> at particular spots to attract birds seems to be quite common here, but
> unless you know local birders or hire a guide, you will never find out
> exactly where these spots are. I tried to find a "well-known" spot where
> Mountain Peacock-Pheasants and Ferruginous Partridges come for food, but I
> didn't know the key information, which is that you need to pay the guards to
> let you drive up the road early in the morning. Another "well-known" spot,
> where a water dish with little fish placed under a convenient perch attracts
> rufous-backed kingfishers, I found out about by running into some local
> birders/photographers nearby, who kindly took me there (and told me about
> paying the guards at the other place).
>
> I'm not sure why birders here are so protective of their "special spots" -
> possibly partly because of the widespread illegal bird trade.
>
> For anyone who is planning to come to Malaysia in the future and wants to do
> any birding around KL, I'm happy to show you a few nice spots.
>
> Regards, Koren

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>