birding-aus

Weebills and Butcherbirds

Subject: Weebills and Butcherbirds
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 11:16:01 +1000
  We live in Ivanhoe, now classed as an inner suburb and close to the Yarra River and to Darebin Creek. We have been here for fifty years, and we have lost most of our smaller garden birds.  Eastern Spenebills visit, but White-plumed have vanished along with Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes, Shrike-tits, Grey Fantails, Blue Wrens and White-browed Scrub-wrens.  We have Common Mynahs in swarms, but Starlings and both House and Tree Sparrows have gone . We have Grey Butcherbirds and occasional Kookaburras, and Spotted Doves. Brown Thornbills are now visitors, not residents.

  One reason (apart from the Mynahs) for the disappearance of small and large insect-eaters could be the proliferation of European Wasps. Seldom do we find caterpillars of any kind these days, even in an unsprayed bushy garden.  Wasps are serious predators of grubs and caterpillars.

  Mynahs seriously affect the hollow-nesters, and another problem is the numerous feral Honey-bee nests in tree hollows.  Wasps take them over too.Willow removal along the Creek led to the disappearance of Sacred Kingfishers which used the hollows they develop at quit an early age.

Anthea Fleming

We never had any Weebills, by the way.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list