birding-aus

Yolŋu Bird Book

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Yolŋu Bird Book
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 08:53:55 +0930
Thanks John, that’s terrific news.

Years ago Kunwinjku relatives insisted I use their names in my fauna books.
There was much interest from the wider public as well as institutions; one
publication, Fauna of Kakadu and the Top End, was a ‘core text’ of UNSW’s
summer school for fourteen years.

But the idea was that they would produce their own.  As part of a little
tourism project (the Baby Dreaming project) we started work on a bird book. But
for some obscure reason our funding was cut. Then slashes to outstation funding
forced many into towns such as Gunbalanya, and nobody had the heart any more.
A grandson, Jehosophat, told me he “hates the future”.

I’ve posted the ABC report to Jehosophat and other relatives on Facebook. I
hope they take heart from this lass’ fantastic effort.

Thanks again.

Denise

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

On 15 Apr 2018, at 8:22 am, calyptorhynchus <> wrote:

> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-15/yirrkala-teenager-siena-stubbs-publishes-bird-book/9641348
>
> --
> John Leonard
> Canberra