birding-aus

Madagascar

To: Michael Hunter <>
Subject: Madagascar
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:15:34 +1100
We flew Air Mauritius from Perth and had a compulsory overnight stop in
Mauritius - we did a little birding but with hindsight (that wonderful
thing) should probably have spent longer there so we could have had a
chance to get the Pink Pigeon

The big professional companies are good - I have been with a few of them.
We basically saw all the birds that the main tours do (we dipped on a few
but comparing lists from previous trips we saw stuff they didn't so very
similar) and was less than half the cost for a group of 4.

On 17 March 2018 at 11:03, Michael Hunter <> wrote:

> Madagascar birds. and animals, and many of their plants (five or six spp
> of Baobabs, many other "fat Plants" and xerophytes) are unique and hugely
> interesting .
>
> Depending on how keen you are, Birding organisations like  Fieldguides or
> Birdquest take you to the best sites,     at the best time of year,   using
> expert local guides as well as their own very experienced people.
>
> We had a really wonderful trip to the South with Fieldguides, the North is
> on our bucket list, again using Birding as the framework for everything
> else.
>
> Dave Torr's summary is spot on for the South.
>
>    An organised tour and guide are a must.
>
>     Being in the vicinity we combined Mad with Mauritius and Reunion, and
> an unguided trip to the Seychelles, not terribly expensive once you are
> there.
>
>            Cheers
>
>                Michael
>

> Sent from my iPhone