birding-aus

Black-tailed Gull

To: Graeme Chapman <>
Subject: Black-tailed Gull
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 20:54:11 +0000
good morning Graeme, my #1 Hero,

it's nice to hear from you.

looking at your image of what is DEFINITELY a Black-tailed Gull on your
website, the bird that I saw here in Cairns on Friday would appear to be
looking very similarly plumaged to yours.

I wonder Graeme when (month & year?) you took this photo, because it would be
the FIRST confirmed record for the Cairns region.

this means that the 1st year imm that Terry Reis and myself found on 01/04/2013
would be the second confirmed, and that Friday's adult (or 'sub-ad'/2nd year
non-br imm) that I saw would be the third definite record for the region.

and whether the bird I saw on Friday was an adult, or a sub-ad/late imm, we now
know that there has at least been two different individual Black-tailed
visiting Cairns, or maybe even three...

maybe we have a regular individual coming here annually? I wonder...

and if one Black-tailed Gull is a regular visitor here, then I wonder if it has
been visiting Cairns as regularly, and for as long, as the northern hemisphere
Peregrine Falcon that is here at the moment...???

there are images taken by the same photographer as far back as late 2014, and
in every Austral summer since, of a visiting Peregrine in Cairns.

it appears to be of either sub-spp 'japonensis' or 'tundrius', and has been
'summering' here in Cairns CBD and environs.

the bird has been using, and currently still is, the very same corner of a
particular building as a favoured perch - especially after dawn and late in the
afternoons.

you have to wonder that this Peregrine may very well be the very same
individual coming here annually...???

I only became aware of this Peregrine ever having been in Cairns less than 2
weeks ago, and this was after a phone call from Keith Hutton in Leeton, NSW !!

birds never cease to amaze me!

and I love your work Mr Chapman !!!

happy birding everyone...

martin cachard