birding-aus

PS: why is it so?

To: Judith L-A <>, "" <>
Subject: PS: why is it so?
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:32:36 +0000
I couldn't agree with you more Judith - I was about to make the same two points
last night on here, but you beat me to it...

and applying adjectives such as common, uncommon, sparse etc. to apex predatory
bird species such as the Peregrine Falcon, is always going to be difficult and
subjective when describing their abundance &/or likelihood of being encountered.

by virtue of being at the top of the food chain, and because in Australia adult
pairs form large breeding teritories, in my opinion, I think it's fair to
describe our Peregrine as 'moderately common' .

personally, I really like the way the new CSIRO 'Aust Bird Guide' has chosen
the pie chart approach for describing each species' abundance &/or likelihood
of being encountered - and, if you refer to the Peregrine in this guide, you
will note that it gets a '50/50 chance'  -  which I think is absolutely spot on
!!

cheers for now,

martin cachard

solar whisper wildlife cruises,