birding-aus

A query about Eastern Spinebills

To: 'Julie Neumann' <>
Subject: A query about Eastern Spinebills
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 00:55:11 +0000
Could the answer not be something far more simple? Just based on what is
available. Beruldsen's book just says "lined with feathers". So that would be
normal. These need not have been white (he does not mention that), and probably
just was whatever species or colour was available at that place and time. If
the Sulphur-crested cockatoos are now abundant and obviously white feathers
are, you would think, easy to find (by being big and white), then simply on
that statistical basis they now use a lot of white Sulphur-crested cockatoo
feathers. It would be odd (or at least hard to prove) if more white feathers
stimulates more nesting. Although using a lot of white feathers could easily be
a risk, as it likely would increase visibility of the nest to nest predators.

Philip