birding-aus

ADVERTISEMENT: Unique Mallacoota Pelagic March 4, 2018

To: birding-aus NEW <>
Subject: ADVERTISEMENT: Unique Mallacoota Pelagic March 4, 2018
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 08:30:33 +0000
Hi all

Mallacoota/Croajingolong in East Gippsland, Victoria is under-birded, but
still has a list of +/- 310 species. *That's with no public pelagic trips.*

Neil Macumber, Birdswing Birding & Wildlife Tours, is offering a unique
pelagic boat trip into East Gippsland waters on Sunday March 4, departing
Merimbula, NSW at 3am, returning maybe as late as midnight same day.

This is a one-off opportunity to add a few birds to your Victorian list,
and maybe even add some species to the region or state list. Eden pelagic,
just over the border in NSW, has an impressive list of 42 pelagic birds
<https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L936694&yr=all&m=>, some of which are not on
the Victorian list yet. See notes below.

*When:* Sunday March 4, 2018
*Departs:* Merimbula 3am
*Cost*: $275 includes breakfast, lunch, dinner
*Deposit:* $100 upon booking. This is non-refundable. Balance due on the
day.
*Note: all amounts will be refunded if trip does not run due to weather. *
*Book:* Neil Macumber E:  M: 0413 628 306
Neil needs finalise by Feb 18.

We will be heading over for it a few days before, and another friend will
probably go on Saturday Mar 3 - email me if you'd like to ride-share.
Alternatively the train/bus departs Melbourne at 7.30am and arrives
Merimbula 4.30pm and only costs $60!

All the best, Janine
*PS I have no financial interest in this trip - just an interest in seeing
it happen. *

​​
POSSIBLE SPECIES: all the following have been seen in NSW & Tas, but have
not yet been recorded on eBird for Victoria/East Gippsland:

*Not on Vic list on eBird: *
Light-mantled Sooty Albatross - some Vic records on VBA/*seen on Eden
Pelagic
Black-winged Petrel - some Vic records on VBA/*seen on Eden Pelagic
Providence Petrel - no Vic records, several in NSW & Tas/*seen on Eden
Pelagic in March
Herald Petrel - no Vic records, several in NSW/*seen on Eden Pelagic in
March
Kermadec Petrel - no Vic records, several in NSW & Tas/*seen on Eden
Pelagic in March

*Not on East Gippsland list on eBird: ** seen on Eden Pelagic
Salvin's Albatross*
Royal Albatross*
Southern Giant-Petrel*
Southern Fulmar
Cape Petrel*
Soft-plumaged Petrel*
White-headed Petrel*
Mottled Petrel*
Cook's Petrel*
Gould's Petrel* (in March)
Salvin's Prion
Antarctic Prion*
Slender-billed Prion*
Great Shearwater*  (in March)
Grey-backed Storm-petrel*
New Zealand Storm-petrel

I can't promise any of these birds will be seen, of course, but if we don't
go, we won't know!

​​