birding-aus

FW: Greenfinch 'visibility' and calling season

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: Greenfinch 'visibility' and calling season
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 03:17:48 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrie Conole
Sent: Thursday, 1 February 2018 9:41 AM
To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Greenfinch 'visibility' and calling season

Hi birders

Making one of my infrequent intrusions into the conversation ...

The last few years I've noticed that Greenfinches start singing quite late in
the season, after at least one breeding round is over - possibly all breeding
concluded for the season.  In the fortnight before Christmas and into about the
second week of January, singing male Greenfiches are prominent in parts of the
Macedon Ranges (Central Victorian Uplands) where I live, and around Melton
(lowland volcanic plain, western edge of Melbourne).  They're nearly invisible
when not calling in these lower density populations.

Why do they start calling so late?  Apparently in their native range in Europe
they start calling very early in Spring, but I haven't noticed that here in
Victoria.

cheers

Dr Lawrie Conole
PO Box 155