birding-aus

brown falcon or black falcon?

To: "" <>
Subject: brown falcon or black falcon?
From: Jason Polak <>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 07:26:17 +0000
Thank you so much everyone for responding to my email.

I actually found a second photo of it that for some reason I didn't
notice the first time around (I think I might have accidentally filtered
it out on the computer?)

http://jpolak.org/falcon2.jpg

The one I showed before was this one:

http://jpolak.org/falcon.jpg

Those are all the angles of it I got. Now, in response to Philip's
question, I was the one that took these photos. It was at the Western
Treatment Plant.

What happened was that we were driving to leave the plant to go home,
when we just happened to look to the left and saw it right out the
passenger side car window. I quickly snapped a picture of it and then it
flew away behind us quickly behind the trees in the opposite direction.
I tried to glean details out the back window but there was a lot of dirt
on it from the WTP roads that I didn't get a clear view. I thought that
maybe I should try and find it but I felt kinda bad for disturbing it so
near to sunset, and I didn't want to anger it.

In terms of seeing it itself, unfortunately during the brief time it was
perched very close, the sun was setting and pretty much right behind the
Falcon. It was quite hard to look directly at it, and only once we got
home was it possible to see much detail on it. It pretty much kept that
pose the whole few seconds it was on the branch.

Sincerely
Jason

On 2018-01-23 06:13 PM, Jason Polak wrote:
> Dear Fellow Birders,
>
> I was hoping someone could help identify this picture:
>
> http://jpolak.org/falcon.jpg (~140kb)
>
> My thoughts are either Black Falcon or Brown Falcon juvenile. I am
> heavily leaning towards Black Falcon because this individual doesn't
> seem to have the 'Brown falcon teardrops' on the face, and we have seen
> plenty of Brown Falcons.
>
> Staring at the illustrations in Pizzey & Knight are confusing, though
> pictures on Graeme Chapman's website seem to suggest it's Black Falcon.
>
> This picture was taken at the Western Treatment Plant yesterday.
>
> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Sincerely
> Jason
>
> <HR>