birding-aus

dec. 25 wtp trip

To: "" <>
Subject: dec. 25 wtp trip
From: Jason Polak <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 10:25:47 +0000
Dear All,

Though this is a week old, since I didn't have much access to the
internet I thought I'd write it  now anyway. We took a nice trip to the
Western Treatment Plant on Dec. 25 and managed to see the Banded Stilt
from the new bird hide there. It was really quite far off into the pond
and some sort of hawk also scared a bunch of birds right before got into
the hide, but there quite a few of those Banded Stilts, swimming near
the Red-necked Avocets.

Some other more unusual finds of the day included juvenile White-bellied
Sea Eagle, Little Corella, and Blue-billed Duck. With that last one
along with the Freckled Duck we saw a couple weeks prior, we have
completed all the ducks we can see down in Victoria, so we just need to
get to Queensland to see Cotton Pygmy Goose and Spotted Whistling Duck
to see all the Australian ducks.

So far after being in Australia for a little over a year we've got 253
species. All very beautiful birds and it was really nice to see them.
(One of my favourites has to be the Buff-banded Rail...what a character
:) ).

Sincerely
Jason

<HR>