birding-aus

Whistle Ducks and Crested Pigeons

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Whistle Ducks and Crested Pigeons
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:29:17 +0000
Brooms Head, North Coast NSW, seems to have had an explosion of Plumed Whistle
Ducks young.  A number of families have been seen.
We were favoured with a family with about eight young in our yard last night.

Three Crested Pigeons had their heads touching and bobbing up and down while
they turned in a circle.  I’ve seen this before a couple of times, and wonder
if anyone knows how common this might be, and what might be going on.  The
birds all seem to be adult. Two doing it mightn’t be much to comment on, but
three?

Wader numbers almost non-existent in their usual spot even when the camper
numbers are low.  Only tern is the Crested and their numbers are down.  No more
than a three or four at a time of Golden Plover, Red-capped Plover, Ruddy
Turnstone. Sooty Oystercatchers fairly regular, but the Pied have become very
uncommon.

Peter Morgan

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.

                              eiπ + 1 = 0
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>