birding-aus

Can anyone help out there with this honeyeater

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Can anyone help out there with this honeyeater
From: Francis Crome <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 04:39:13 +0000
I also thought Little Shrike thrush at first but the bill is far too fine and
the lower mandible in LST is pale.   It actually looks like one of the rufous
forms of the New Guinea Pycnopygius ixoides (Plain Honeyeater) but ho hum!

Cheers

Francis Crome

Francis Crome Pty Ltd
PO Box 107
Kallista
Vic 3791
Australia

+61 4 1773 0291 (M)

> On 17 Dec 2017, at 3:18 pm, Philip Veerman <> wrote:
>
> I wonder why would you call these "rather poor photos". I am curious as to
> why it would be a honeyeater. I can't pick it as any honeyeater and
> certainly not a Brown Honeyeater. The beak is notably long, although I think
> too straight for any honeyeater. My immediate reaction (although I don't
> know it well) and it is close to what books show, is Little Shrike-thrush
> but looks slim build and the location, unless I am misinterpreting the place
> is quite south of where the maps show. The colour fits Pilotbird, though the
> shape does not appear to match.
>
> Philip

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list