birding-aus

Guardian Australian bird of the year 2017

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Guardian Australian bird of the year 2017
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 22:53:16 +0000
I read the cartoons about it and I still voted. When you vote, there is an
option to see the ranking.

The notes about the bird choices, perpetuate what is said to be a myth that
the Grey Butcherbird has "a rather gruesome habit of impaling its prey in
the fork of a branch for later consumption." They will wedge prey in a fork
of a branch to help pull it apart, but the "impaling" bit, applies to
shrikes and the story was wrongly copied to our birds but it is not
something our butcherbirds do.

Philip

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2017/nov/20/australia
n-bird-of-the-year-2017-vote-for-your-favourite

Ornithologists Group.
Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>