birding-aus

Ravens in the Rubbish

To: "" <>
Subject: Ravens in the Rubbish
From: Stephen Gibb <>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:44:33 +0000
Dear Birders,

It’s bin day in our ‘burb with the unfortunate result of some rubbish being
left behind.  However, this has provided a potential source of morning tea
for the resident Ravens and entertainment for me.  One small paper bag in
particular has enticed the local constabulary to leave its perch in the gum
tree and come down to investigate.  Each bird is smart enough to know there
is food inside, selfish enough to steal the bag repeatedly from the others,
co-ordinated enough to place one foot on the bag and take a few stabs
before it is snaffled by the next, but not one is clever enough to create a
caucus to work together and remove the snack to share for the greater good
of the conspiracy.

While musing on the living parable, it leads me to ask if there is any
evidence of a direct evolutionary link between Ravens and our politicians?

Perhaps in your neighbourhood there are some exceptions to this behaviour
amongst your local Ravens as I hope there is amongst our politicians as
well.

Enjoy the birds you see today,

Steve Gibb
<HR>