birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoos

To: "" <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoos
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 23:25:10 +0000
My parents-in-law live in an upper-storey apartment in Greenwich on Sydney's
lower north shore.  Their outdoor balcony looks out over the canopy of a
tree that currently has a Pied Currawong nest. However, the nest has been
taken over by Channel-billed Cuckoos, and the curious thing is that a female
CBC has been sitting on the nest for the last two days.  I'm aware that more
than one female CBC can lay an egg in the same nest in the same breeding
cycle, and that one female CBC may use several nests in which to lay eggs.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if a female CBC will sit on one of her
own eggs for the first few days to prevent other CBCs from laying their eggs
in the nest? Or perhaps prevent it from being preyed upon by the currawongs
early in the breeding cycle?

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW

<HR>