birding-aus

Spring in Mulgoa Valley

To: "" <>
Subject: Spring in Mulgoa Valley
From: michael hunter <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:49:14 +0000
Hi All.

           We have had some good sightings in our part of Mulgoa Valley over
the last week.

           Best was a juvenile BAILLON’S CRAKE among the reeds on a dam, new
for my local list.

            A circling SWAMP HARRIER, with Brown Goshawk close by and a Nankeen
Kestrel,  CRESTED SHRIKE-TIT,   AZURE KINGFISHER  not new but occasional and
nice to see.

            Several CATTLE EGRETS, none in breeding plumage. Three CHESTNUT
BREASTED MANIKINS and a few NUTMEG MANIKINS, as well as a small flock of
EUROPEAN GOLDFINCHES feeding on flowering thistles. The Spotted Pardalote is
back. Swallows are nesting very messily under the eaves. The extended family of
five Purple Gallinules who foraged together over winter have reduced to one
pair after a concerted wings and tail-up chase lasting several days to oust the
breeding territory’s excess capacity. Reed Warblers returned a fortnight ago.
Whipbirds seen, growling but not whipcracking on the overgrown creek. Eastern
Yellow Robin and Grey Thrush,   as well as Blackbirds, who wake us just before
dawn with their beautiful song.  A Golden-headed Cisticola and Richards Pipit
seen and heard two weeks ago but not since.

             We started putting out Wild bird Seed, consisting mainly of wheat,
corn, sunflower seed with interesting results.  The container is a rectangular
bowl on our small back “lawn” outside the kitchen window.  Most unexpected is
that Magpies are eating a lot of something in the mix, probably the corn, whole
kernels. There is a pecking order, a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo is king, then
Galahs, Magpies, Bar-shouldered Doves, Spotted Turtledoves, Peaceful Doves,
Double barred and Red-browed finches.

           And a young House Sparrow.  House Sparrows were numerous until the
horse people next door departed, with their horses, four years ago, and the
sparrows just disappeared (until last week.) As they have from many areas,
possibly because of the lack of insects to raise young at that one critical
post hatching period although they are granivorous birds.

           The Mix has only been out for a few weeks and still attracting new
spp.  Crimson Rosellas have approached and eat seeding winter grass in the
lawn, and seed scattered on the grass, but have yet to come to the bowl, which
is under a nominal shelter of slatted pine.  A family of King Parrots eyed the
seed off from an adjacent tree, hopefully might put in another appearance. YT
Black Cockatoos are feeding young and pruning nearby pines, and although
pictured on the Wildmix bag, have not shown interest in the handout.  Apart
from the Bar-shouldered doves and Doublebars who nest close by, none of the
birds stay longer than it takes for a good feed; dependence will not be an
issue, the bowl is only refilled every second day.

               What a nice Spring, all we need is some real rain to keep things
growing and going.

                           Cheers
                                     Michael

              PS We are off next week on yet another attempt for the Princess
Parrot, somewhere between Jupiter Well, Kunawarritji  and Lake Tobin.     Any
tips as to where to look or recent sightings?

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>