birding-aus

Scamming?

To: 'Chris Charles' <>, "" <>
Subject: Scamming?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 23:57:00 +0000
I assume their main intention is to get traffic to their website, maybe to get
advertising revenue or something. I think it's called affiliate marketing.
The worst scenario is that the webpage is actually infected, and infects
computers that visit it. I would remove the link from your website, just in
case. I can't see how adding the link would result in more traffic to your
site. Perhaps that was a coincidence?

Given it's the exact same page with a different sender and story, I'm guessing
this was set up by a more careful spammer than normal. My impression of
affiliate marketing, when I first heard of it in the early 90s, was that it was
a "make money at home in your spare time" type of exercise. Proponents claim
quality over quantity is required to get results. Note that the spelling and
grammar is good, and the story is believable.

So how do you spot one of these? Looks like the normal things like bad spelling
and ridiculous story don't work with these. My suspicion was aroused by the
flattering nature of the email, and I thought it was unlikely someone in her
position would be enthusiastic enough to want to improve the world by adding a
useful link to our site.

I checked her link using my iPad. My theory is that iPads can't get infected,
fingers crossed. I didn't want to look at it on a PC. I googled a few words
from the page, and found the exact same wording in a dozen or so pages.
Unfortunately one of the other moderators had let it through to the list before
I'd finished checking it out.

I've always thought it would be impossible to detect a spam if it was carefully
constructed and well targeted. I guess one just has to be suspicious of all
kinds of offers.

Peter Shute

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list