birding-aus

death of elder who supported birdwatchers in western Arnhem Land

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: death of elder who supported birdwatchers in western Arnhem Land
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:51:08 +0000
On 12 August I attended the funeral of Mr. Burrunali of Mamadewerrie
Outstation, western Arnhem Land.  It was held at Gunbalanya (Oenpelli).

Mr. Burrunalli was one of thirty elders who supported birdwatchers coming to
the area, even setting aside their best hunting billabong so that visitors
would be safe.  He and other elders took other, cultural, measures to ensure
the safety of visitors as well.

For those interested in such matters I called Mr. Burrunali ’son’.  I was
invited to the funeral as the only relative remaining who stood in the
relationship to him as ‘mother’ (his biological mother and her sister are
deceased).  One invitation, from my Mawah (step-grandson), read:  "Kamak mawah
come because you the last mum standing beside your two sister, the one always
walk with you”.

I’m presently writing this up for the NT Field Naturalists’ newsletter if
anyone is interested in further details.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835