birding-aus

White-headed Pigeon's status in Melbourne

To: "" <>
Subject: White-headed Pigeon's status in Melbourne
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 02:25:30 +0000
After an off-line exchange with Martin O'B my brain finally decided to
rejoin me and I have taken a squizz at the Atlas of Living Australia (ALA)
for White-headed Pigeon in the Mallacoota area.  The topic of enquiry was a
comment made to me by a local that the species had only turned up recently
(~2010) in Mallacoota

The oldest record shown for the Mallacoota area (basically out to Genoa and
a bit of stuff across the Inlet) in ALA is from 1992.  The number of
records start to pick up in 1997 and then gradually increase over the next
decade with quite a few records in the built up area from the town centre
along the Inlet to Karbeethong.  The species seems to have become very
common in the last 10 years (with many folk other than myself putting in
records to eBird or other data stores).

So the evidence shows that Martin's comment of "traditional" is closer to
the truth than the comment by a local.

Martin Butterfield

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 31 July 2017 at 09:17, <> wrote:

> Mike...a summary of the Melbourne area White-headed Pigeon's observations
> from the Victorian Biodiversity Atlas (VBA).
>
> 1999 Warrandyte - several records, in late summer
>
> 2004 Pound bend (Warrandyte area)
>
> 2006 Mount Eliza (several records, all close to each other)
>
> 2007 Donvale
>
> 2008 Guys Hill (Berwick)
>
> So your record certainly appears to be one of the closer-to-the-city ones
> in recent years.
>
> The 'traditional range' for records of the species is the Gippsland Lakes
> and then the Mallacoota area...
>
> cheers, Martin O'Brien
> Melbourne
>
> Link: Victorian Biodiversity Atlas -