birding-aus

Orts. Firetails. Hanzab?

To: Dick Turner <>
Subject: Orts. Firetails. Hanzab?
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 05:36:25 +0000
Googling "ort" many general dictionaries define it as a scrap of left over
food.  It seems to come from Middle and Old English and to be cognate with
a similar word in Middle Low German.  Possibly the word is not of relevance
to botanists because it only applies when the plant has been eaten?

I was tempted to suggest a link to the O*ort* cloud of scraps of material
around the solar system but that appears wrong as it is actually named
after an astronomer Jan Oort!

To answer Judith's question HANZAB cites one reference to red-brows dining
on casuarina cones.

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 1 June 2017 at 15:04, Dick Turner <> wrote:

> I cannot locate the word ort in two botanical references.
>
> But I do know that finches eat casuarina seed, including beautiful
> firetail eating seed of Allocasurina littoralis in forests near Eden,
> N.S.W..
>

> Dick Turner
>

> On 1/06/2017 9:29 AM, Judith L-A wrote:
>
>> (Are the allocas seed pods only called orts after they've been eaten
>> from?)
>>
>> Main query--  Yesterday I watched Red-browed Firetails systematically
>> feeding in Glossy Black-Cockatoo Allocasuarinas. The finches lean towards
>> the ort, delicately insert their beak, & remove themselves while eating.
>>
>> Does Hanzab list this as a foraging activity / food genus for this
>> species?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Judith
>>

>> Please check your Contacts-–
>> my email address is now
>> JLA
>> This note's from the mobile.
>>
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>