birding-aus

Budgie numbers more common in February-April

To: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Subject: Budgie numbers more common in February-April
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 09:34:49 +0000
Hi Don,

Certainly in the less arid areas like Capertee Valley, the numbers of
granivorous birds (finches, doves, small parrots) tend to be highest in late
summer to autumn. This is when there are more young birds around to boost the
size of the flocks and it coincides with the peak of seeding grasses.

This might also be part of the story further inland with the budgies, but
remember that things tend to be more erratic in the arid interior with seasonal
patterns often overridden by the boom and bust of drought vs wet years.

Cheers,

Carol

> On 6 Apr 2017, at 4:16 pm, Donald G. Kimball <> wrote:
>
> I am wondering if I see a pattern now over these past years in Aus where
> huge flocks of budgies are more common in February - April rather than
> typical Aussie spring  months of lets say September - November?
>
> I did see a flock of about 1000 at Bowra in September of 2008 but perhaps
> the pattern is for more fall winter abundance?
>
> Thanks for the input and as always I appreciate this site!
>

> Don Kimball
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>