birding-aus

FW: mystery bird on YouTube. No mystery. Further info.

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: mystery bird on YouTube. No mystery. Further info.
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 22:50:53 +0000
Hi All,

This comment has just come in from an expert in western USA.........

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Kimball Garrett  Sent:
Saturday, 1 April, 2017 9:32 AM
To: Philip Veerman      Subject: RE: mystery bird on YouTube. No mystery.

Philip,

Yes, that Steller's Jay must certainly have been filmed in western North
America, and Wyoming would be a typical place for them (as long as the habitat
is coniferous forest).  The white streaks on the forehead indicate that the
Steller's Jay is from the Rocky Mountain subspecies group (the group found in
Wyoming) rather than any of the Pacific coastal (se. Alaska to s. California)
subspecies, which have bluish streaks and browner (less blackish) heads.  But
if the Romanian Bird Records Committee wants to review this as a first record
for Romania and the Western Palearctic, then let them have fun with it.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.