birding-aus

numbers

To: "" <>
Subject: numbers
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 06:22:57 +0000
Since I wrote about this in 2015, Galah numbers in my bit of country have
fallen to zero. Last time I saw any here they were 4 flashing through. As I
probably said last time I wrote, Galah numbers had increased steadily from
the late 1990s until the decline which began in the 20teens. As well as
living in the area, the birds would bring their young each day in the
season, to leave them all day in the fruiting Tipuana tipu trees. Initially
this was confusing, as the seed of this plant is unpalatably hard. After
observation we saw that the birds were tearing out the bright green main
"vein" which backs the winged seed.

In a nearby village below the range the other day, I saw a
possible/part-reason for the loss of Galahs here. With a tremendous
raucousness a swoop of parrots tore through town — galahs being chased by
corellas. The galahs were split up & pitched into various trees, landing
pellmell. After the corellas had swooped noisily away, the galahs that
could be seen shook themselves in a way I'd not seen before. Galahs were
once abundant there, too, but are now an uncommon minority in such a
parroty/cockatooish town.

Judith
SEQ 500m
<HR>