birding-aus

Albatrosses Killed by Helium Balloons

To: Chris King <>
Subject: Albatrosses Killed by Helium Balloons
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:04:31 +0000
A search for "balloon" on change.org returns a depressing number of similar
petitions world wide, and there are even two for Josh Frydenberg, each with
about 5000 signatures. Do these things keep running forever? If you add your
name to one that's several years old, will it get to the recipient?

I wonder if funeral directors are ever involved in organising these releases.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

> On 16 Feb 2017, at 9:22 pm, Chris King <> wrote:
>
> There has been a petition "Ban ceremonial balloon releases due to the
> negative impact on marine and wildlife' on Change.org for some time. I
> think there are a couple of other petitions about balloons there and at
> least one has been presented to the federal minister Josh Frydenberg.
> Unfortunately they have less than 6000 signatures, a fraction compared to
> some other issues, but probably worth supporting.
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Greg Roberts <>
> wrote:
>
>> The deaths of three albatross in south-east Queensland, including a
>> Light-mantled Albatross, have been linked to their consumption of helium
>> balloon debris in offshore waters. One of the balloons has been traced to
>> the Sunnybank Plaza shopping centre in Brisbane.
>>
>> This is the tip of the iceberg. Plastic waste is responsible for the deaths
>> of huge numbers of seabirds and other marine life around the world.
>>
>> More here:
>>
>> http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com.au/2017/02/
>> seabirds-under-threat-death-by-helium.html
>>

>> Greg Roberts
>>
>> http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com.au/
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>