birding-aus

Gluepot - mallee insect attack

To: 'Birding Aus' <>
Subject: Gluepot - mallee insect attack
From: Bob & Trish Sothman <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 02:56:54 +0000
Currently here were lots of birds at Gluepot (well a lot more than the last
couple of times I have been there) - saw 54 species over 2 days on 25 & 26
January. Parts of the countryside look fabulous following good rains.
However, much of the mallee has been decimated by insect attack. The attack
is over a wide area of both Taylorville and Gluepot.  I suspect 60 - 70% of
the mallee trees have been attacked and greater than 90% of all leaves have
been completely eaten from most of the mallee trees that have been attacked.
I have never seen such massive and extensive destruction in the mallee
before.  The rangers at Gluepot told me:-
.       The attack has happened in the last 3 weeks
.       They have tried to identify the "inch worm" that caused the
destruction (by talking to the relevant authorities), but have failed
.       It also happened 2 years ago.
I have tried searching the internet to learn more about such massive
destruction but largely failed. Can anyone point me to any relevant
literature please?   I have a few photos that I can sent to anyone who is
interested.
Thanks,
Bob Sothman
Adelaide