birding-aus

Roosting behaviour of bowerbirds and birds of Paradise

To: "" <>
Subject: Roosting behaviour of bowerbirds and birds of Paradise
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 22:53:29 +0000
My thanks to those who responded with information about roosting and predation
on bowerbirds and birds of paradise, I got several useful sightings for roosts
of Satin Bowerbirds, but nothing for birds of paradise and no instances of
direct predation, which just goes to show how both subjects are remarkably
little known.
Any further sightings are welcome, and also another obscure query- what is the
maximum altitude for Paradise Riflebird? How high do they get in the Green Mts
for instance, I presume they get towards Bithongabel but I don’t have any
precise figure and it is not in any of the Frith titles or HANZAB.
I have it like this at present in the draft account, but I suspect the1100 m
upper limit may be too low:
This species is unique in being the sole non-tropical representative of the
family, endemic to the eastern coast of Australia from the Calliope Range south
of Rockhampton, Queensland to just north of Newcastle, NSW in the Great
Dividing Range and some lowlands to the east. The southern limit is the
northern Hunter Valley near Barrington Tops.

Occurs occasionally down to sea level in winter, when some Australian species
of the higher altitudes have local dispersals to lower lying areas, and also in
surviving patches of lowland rainforest. Generally this species is most
numerous above 500 m, extending up to about 1100 m.

Thanks once again
Phil Gregory

Email:  <>
Website1: http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com <http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com/>