birding-aus

'Bassian' species

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: 'Bassian' species
From: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:44:41 +0000
Further to Andrew Bell’s post re. ‘Bassian’ the following is my explanation to
a couple of people who asked me directly:

I have used the term 'Bassian' to refer to the bio-geographical region of that
name which overlaps another bio-geographical region 'the Torresian region' in
north-east New South Wales and south-east Queensland.  This overlap forms the
Macleay-McPherson Overlap and explains why this area is one of the most
biodiverse in Australia.  In a number of plant and animal groups this region
has more species than even the wet tropics.  The Bassian floras and faunas are
those of southern Australia that inhabit temperate regions.  The Torresian
floras and faunas are those of northern Australia inhabiting the tropical
regions.  By checking distribution maps you can see which species peter out in
southern Queensland and those that are found in the north and just make it into
northern New South Wales.  Climate Change is starting to affect this pattern
though with tropical species such as White-headed Pigeons and Australasian
Figbird now reaching Victoria.

Many Bassian species of fauna are absent from the humid lowlands of north-east
New South Wales-south-east Queensland but occur at higher altitudes there.
Examples are the Crimson Rosella, New Holland Honeyeater, Tiger Snake,
White-eared Honeyeater, Australian Raven, Bassian Thrush, Gibraltar Waratah,
Stuttering Frog.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy