birding-aus

Little Button-quail???

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: Little Button-quail???
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:49:06 +0000
East Gippsland could have anything. It is huge, largely uncultivated,
relatively unexplored with an extraordinary diversity of habitats and very
few people - and even fewer birders.

How many of us have even been to Errinundra, Coopracambra or the Deddick
area in the upper Snowy River NP?

They are beautiful and really worth visiting! Although I can't speak for
Coopracambra yet - still on my list to visit.

Janine

JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port
Melbourne, Victoria 3207 AUSTRALIA

GOLD WINNER 2014 World Responsible Travel Awards "Best for Wildlife
Conservation"
E:   Web:
www.echidnawalkabout.com.au [http://www.echidnawalkabout.com.au/]
Ph: +61 (0)3 9646 8249 Mob: +61 (0) 427 808 747 [tel:427 808 747] Fax: +61
(0)3 9681 9177 On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 7:09pm, Martin Butterfield <
  > wrote:
Since posting this I have been told of a local (ie Mallacoota) photographer
with birding connections who heard a weird call and was able to track the
bird down and capture an image of a ... Pheasant Coucal!!! I haven't seen
the photo, and my information is well up the chain of Chinese Whispers, but
it does seem to suggest that either:

1. there are a wide range of unusual birds turning up in East Gippsland;
or
2. someone has dropped some very interesting chemicals in the water
supply of East Gippsland.

Personally I'd go for option 1.

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 15 December 2016 at 13:25, Martin Butterfield <>
wrote:

 > I offer this report on an unusual bird seen at Mallacoota (VIC) for:
 > (1) suggestions as to what else it could have been other than a female
 > LBQ; and
 > (2) a suggestion that the species might be irrupting into unexpected
spots
 > (noting a recent confirmed sighting in Northern ACT which seems to on
tte
 > edge of the more expected range).
 >
 > My notes from the observation were:
 >
 >> Fairly small quail/buttonquail shaped bird. Plain, light brown breast
and
 >> light brown back with lighter streaks. Other than this overall light
brown
 >> look and feel the most obvious field mark was a white/very pale line
above
 >> the eye. The bird was walking about in a small cleared patch between
some
 >> pittosporum shrubs. I was unable to relocate it when I returned with a
 >> camera. Checking Pizzey and Knight my best guess is Little Buttonquail,
but
 >> I appreciate the nearest records are about 250km away.
 >

 > Martin Butterfield
 > http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list