birding-aus

Exciting birds at Mungo and Hattah

To: "" <>
Subject: Exciting birds at Mungo and Hattah
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 01:45:37 +0000
Sending again as I heard some couldn't view my original email.

JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port
Melbourne, Victoria 3207 AUSTRALIA

GOLD WINNER 2014 World Responsible Travel Awards "Best for Wildlife
Conservation"
E:   Web:
www.echidnawalkabout.com.au [http://www.echidnawalkabout.com.au/]
Ph: +61 (0)3 9646 8249 Mob: +61 (0) 427 808 747 [tel:427 808 747] Fax: +61
(0)3 9681 9177 On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 9:45am, Janine Duffy <
  > wrote:
Hi BA

If you can, I would recommend a visit to Mungo NP, southwestern NSW and
Hattah, north-western Vic in the next few months. If you haven't seen a
Crimson Chat, Orange Chat, Budgie, Regent Parrot, Mallee Emu-wren or
Striated Grasswren now might be the time!

We were up there two weeks ago and it was rocking. At one stage, when we
were reaching overload from the abundance and cacophony of woodswallows,
trillers, songlarks, bee-eaters, thornbills, whitefaces, babblers and
apostlebirds at Mungo the tour leader, Simon Thompson - a very experienced
birder - turned to me and said "Is it always like this? This is utterly
spectacular, especially for an arid area".

At Mungo the highlights were:
6+ Crimson Chats including at least one pair carrying nesting material -
means they could be around for a while. Foreshore Walk - on the plains
6 Orange Chats at Red Top Tank and Vigars Well
Chestnut Quail-thrush at Mallee Stop
Chestnut-crowned Babblers - Foreshore Walk - and White-browed Babblers - at
main camp
Little Buttonquail - at Garnpang Road and near Zanci Homestead
...and driving back through the park at 6.30pm there were so many small
birds on the road we had to take it slowly. Some of them were Orange Chats,
many were Pipits but we were rushing by then for dinner and had to keep
moving.

At Mungo Lodge we saw Budgerigars flying overhead and a pair of Hooded
Robins. The Lodge is under new ownership and well worth staying or going
for a meal.

At Hattah-Kulkyne the highlights were:
2 Mallee Emu-wrens - Nowingi Tk area
1 Striated Grasswren - Nowingi Tk area
14+ Regent Parrots - Nowingi Tk area
and Red-necked Avocets are breeding at Colignan

Also the Great Darling Anabranch is flooded and there are parrots
everywhere. I'm getting the lists on eBird but its taking a while.

All the best, Janine

--
JANINE DUFFY Director Marketing ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port
Melbourne, Victoria 3207 AUSTRALIA

GOLD WINNER 2014 World Responsible Travel Awards "Best for Wildlife
Conservation"
E:   Web:
www.echidnawalkabout.com.au [http://www.echidnawalkabout.com.au/]
Ph: +61 (0)3 9646 8249 Mob: +61 (0)427 808 747 Fax: +61 (0)3 9681 9177

OPERATIONS & GROUP enquiries contact: Roger Smith
 Director Operations
A.B.N. 72 716 985 505
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list