birding-aus

HBW Passerine Checklist

To: "" <>
Subject: HBW Passerine Checklist
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 23:20:48 +0000
I am just reviewing the galley proofs for my forthcoming Field Guide to the
Birds of New Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago for Lynx Edicions, and I was
lucky enough to get a preview of some of the relevant passerine texts in the
forthcoming Lynx Passerines Checklist. Now this promises to be a very
stimulating treatment, with many poorly known taxa reviewed and elevated to
species rank, though as expected they have ducked the really hard ones like the
break up the (Not so) Little Shrike-thrush, Island Thrush and Trumpet Manucode,
where the Tobias morphological criteria simply don’t work or it’s in the too
hard basket.

Still, here in Australia we can look forward to seeing White-quilled
Honeyeater, Golden-backed Honeyeater, Brown Whistler and quite a few regional
splits. I am very pleased to see the splitting of  Eastern Hooded and Biak
Hooded Pitta, Morotai Pitta, The break up of Red-bellied Pitta into 7 in the
New Guinea region (ours is Papuan by the way), Rennell Gerygone, the retention
of Biak Gerygone (yay!), Biak Myzomela,, Biak Fantail, the resurrection of the
venerable Djaul Monarch, Long-billed Myzomela and Obi Paradise Crow.  The
special offer is open until Dec 15 so I’d have a look at the Lynx website and
go from there.

Phil Gregory
 <>

Email:  <>