birding-aus

Movement of Cape Barren Geese

To: "" <>
Subject: Movement of Cape Barren Geese
From: "" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:27:12 +0000
following thoughts.

As a Friends of French Island National Park (Western Port) member for many
years we've noticed a steady increase in numbers of geese to the point
there are probably a few hundred birds at times on French Island.  The
(smaller) Phillip Island has even more birds and the number of reports of
geese on the Mornington peninsula has steadily increased to I suspect.

We've noticed the different behaviour of birds depending on the season.
When breeding, pairs stake out a dam of other water body and often raise
young while at other times of the year large flocks are encountered.
French Island is Red Fox free so a good place for breeding ground birds
(although there are lots of feral cats).

The Handbook of Aust, NZ and Antarctic Birds notes that the species is a
'partial migrant'.

My theory is that there are local movements of geese, with Phillip Island
being the 'initial source' of birds that are now expanding back into some
of their former range.

Interested in what others think about this...

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi
Have been contacted by the Environment and Sustainability Officer at HMAS
Cerberus (Vic) who has noted a dramatic drop in their numbers of geese
recently.
I know that numbers also fluctuate quite dramatically at the WTP in
Werribee, so I am wondering if anyone knows where they go to - is it just
generally nomadic species or do they go to specific breeding sites at some
times of year?
Thanks
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list