birding-aus

Query on "comfort factor" of Portland and Port Fairy pelagic boats

To: Tania Ireton <>
Subject: Query on "comfort factor" of Portland and Port Fairy pelagic boats
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 09:06:51 +0000
Hi Tania,

I’ve been on many pelagics and the truth is that if someone is susceptible to
seasickness, then the boat size and design may not be a factor in reducing that
susceptibility. Even a relative slack ocean can make people very sick if the
tendency is there.

There are a number of folk we see on pelagic outings that are unable to
overcome their seasickness, despite all sorts of medications.

I manage my seasickness tendencies with Trava-calm very well and I think that
is the best insurance available.

I have no experience on either of the boats you are querying, but most boats
currently running outings around Australia are in the same ballpark in respect
to size - you would need to go much bigger and perhaps to catamaran designs for
a more stable platform, which might have an influence in reducing seasickness
problems.

Kind regards,

Allan

> On 15 Nov 2016, at 6:04 PM, Tania Ireton <> wrote:
>
> Thank you all very much for the information on combating seasickness.  It
> will be very useful.
>
> What my friend was hoping for was for someone who knows both boats to
> recommend which one, if any, is more comfortable or stable or has more room
> to sit or more stable points to grab. From previous experience there were
> certain boats that I preferred because I could find a spot to wedge myself
> into.  But I haven't been on a Victorian pelagic in some years and I don't
> know these particular boats.
>
> Regards,
> Tania

<HR>