birding-aus

American birders seeking to migrate to Australia

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: American birders seeking to migrate to Australia
From: David Adams <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 01:06:09 +0000
The news said the the 'move to Canada' site got overloaded and crashed last
night. I've been getting calls since early this morning. So sad. Anyway, I
went through all of this about 15 years ago. There are a lot of ways for
people with skills in demand to immigrate to Australia from the USA (or
anywhere else) and the system struck me, when I used it, as fair and
straightforward. But it takes some time and research, for sure. The older
you get, the harder it gets. I think that the hard-and-fast limits for
skilled migrants have been raised from 45 to 50. There are a variety of
other sorts of special visas but I think that they take a big stack of
cash. Here's the current government site:

http://www.australia.gov.au/information-and-services/immigration-and-visas

If they just want to get out of the USA and are older, they may find it
easier to move to one of the Central American countries that have a bit of
a cottage industry taking in retired US people. Guatemala, for example, has
a bunch of US colonies and amazing birds. In Belize, they even speak a
version of English and the birds are great. I think Malaysia is also
seeking US retirees. Retire to Borneo! That's the dream.

Good luck to them!
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>