birding-aus

Black swans

To: "" <>
Subject: Black swans
From: William Harvey <>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 23:43:46 +0000
I am a keen amateur observer but newbie to the list.  Yesterday (1 Nov)
I observed a pair of black swans with four well grown but not fully
fledged cygnets near  Tranmere Point on the Derwent River. They were
riding out the strong winds quite close to the rocks on a lee shore. The
birds remained in the vicinity until obscured by nightfall.
The nearest regular haunt for black swans that I am aware of is above
the Bowen Bridge.  The shortest distance by water is 15 kms, a long swim
for the cygnets!  The gale was followed by a calm night, there was no
sign of the group this morning.
We have been experiencing the usual strong West -North-westerly winds
for this time of the year but I cannot recall having seen a family group
of swans in this location previously (50+years).
There has been the odd single swan pay us a visit on rare occasions
sometimes obviously unwell and having flight difficulties.
Has any other observer seen the group or have any suggestions how they
traveled so far? Best regards to all.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>