birding-aus

What's happened at Lake Galletly, Gatton?

To: 'Dave Torr' <>, 'Richard Nowotny' <>
Subject: What's happened at Lake Galletly, Gatton?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 06:10:00 +0000
I was at Phillip Island last week and there were several Swamp Harriers there.
Lots of water all along the Hume highway (I did the return trip from Canberra
to Melbourne) and almost no ducks and few other water birds but more than the
usual number of raptors (Black & Whistling Kites, Brown Goshawks, Kestrels &
Brown Falcons). For what it may be worth, there was massive breeding of Masked
Lapwings and Cape Barren Geese on Phillip Island. The latter is a first for me.
The species did not occur there as far as I recall in all my many visits in the
1970s.

Philip