birding-aus

Nullarbor Quail-thrush

To: "" <>
Subject: Nullarbor Quail-thrush
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 05:06:18 +0000
Just back from nearly three months in W.A. photographing and recording more
birds for the website. All the way across to the west the countryside was in
superb condition.

On the way over in August, in some places the grass was knee high and coming
back in October, up to your armpits! I fear for a possible horror fire season.

Perhaps the highlight of the trip was catching up at last with the Nullarbor
Quail-thrush and getting good pictures and some sound (difficult on the
Nullarbor because the wind never stops
blowing).www.graemechapman.com.au/library/viewphotos.php?c=750

 In the vicinity of the Nullarbor Roadhouse we found them in about five
different places out as far as the well-known T & T spot of 6.5 km up the
fence. They were all males - no sign of any females - maybe they were sitting.
Luckily we got them on the way over because on our return in early October any
ground frequenting bird was obscured by grass but we did see two birds right on
the track up the fence (E of the roadhouse) only about 300 m from the main road.

Nullarbor Roadhouse allows decadent birdwatching at its best! Hardly any need
to get out of your car, it's better to use it as a hide and there are literally
miles of tracks to traverse (some a bit rough at times). On your return at
night, the restaurant offers much more than you would expect out in the middle
of the Nullarbor. The garlic prawn entree was superb!

Graeme Chapman

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>