birding-aus

RFI Mount Magnet/Cue and Paynes Find areas

To: Iian Denham via Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI Mount Magnet/Cue and Paynes Find areas
From: Ross Jones <>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 00:39:45 +0000
Hi Lian,

Western Quail-thrush were at Kirkalocka Station 2 weekends ago and are usually
found there.  We stay there regularly and have always found them pretty easily.
 There was also Slaty-backed Thornbill, Spotted Nightjar, Pied Honeyeater,
Western Bowerbird, Little Woodswallow, White-browed Treecreeper and another 50
odd species around.

We also did a day trip up to Cue and out to Walga Rock and had Banded
Whiteface, Orange Chat, Crimson Chat, Hooded Robin, Inland Dotterel and Chiming
Wedgebill among the highlights (in the “gibber” country before the Austin Downs
Station homestead).

We stopped off at the “Grey Honeyeater” spot on Maranalgo Road but no luck,
nothing much in the way of flowering trees was happening although the next day
we know of someone who got a couple of photos of a “maybe” Grey HE there.

It’s such a good wildflower season up there too at the moment, absolutely
amazing to see (the downside of course is the birds are spread far and wide!).

Anyway, I’d recommend a night or two at Kirkalocka if you’re looking for
somewhere to stay as it’s a handy base and Ann and Geoff are really nice hosts.

Oh, and we also picked up a pair of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes about 500m of Payne’s
Find Tavern on the eastern side of the road.

Cheers,
Ross

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Iian Denham via Birding-Aus