birding-aus

Shriketits

To: Frank O'Connor <>
Subject: Shriketits
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:27:13 +0000
Interesting, in 2010 Darryel 'Biggles' Binns and I searched for the
northern subsp/species along the Central Arnhem Highway and failed
miserably with playback of a CD that someone had given him of the calls of
that exact race. We drove several kilometres repeating this and nothing
responded. As a last desperate attempt (near the Katherine 20 km marker), I
played the call of the eastern race and immediately three birds flew in,
responding enthusiastically.

In 30 years I've had a reasonable amount of experience of them in
Queensland and Victoria and found them to be one of the most curious
species, very respondent to 'spishing' and 'playback', but I'm not sure
that I have ever heard them 'mimicking' other species.

Hope this helps,

Tom

--
I.B. (Tom) Tarrant