birding-aus

Egyptian Geese, lupines and xenophobia

To: 'Willem Jan Marinus Vader' <>, Birding-Aus <>, sabirdnet <>, Birdchat <>
Subject: Egyptian Geese, lupines and xenophobia
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 04:26:57 +0000
If we thought and behaved completely logically, we would never hate invasive
species, but would ignore them or attempt to control them depending entirely on
whether they're harmful or likely to increase and become harmful. Some people
do seem to do that (or just hide their feelings well), but others develop this
hatred you describe. I guess it helps people to work towards controlling a
species if they hate it. I do think that people's feelings about immigrants
work the same way.

Are you suggesting we should question whether we're controlling invasive
species for irrational reasons, or just question whether our feelings about
them are irrational? I do think that we should continue to control them, no
matter what our feelings for them are.

I subscribe to the aliens-L mailing list, which deals with invasive species.
Published papers are regularly discussed where the authors have suggested
acceptance of certain or any invasive species as native, and the motives or
these authors are often questioned. Are they attention seeking? Funded by some
company that could either profit or save money by not having to control an
invasive species? Misguided animal lovers? But it seems generally accepted that
these authors are misguided.

Peter Shute

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list