birding-aus

Cumberland Chimney

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Cumberland Chimney
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 10:56:45 +0000
Last October we went to Cumberland Chimney near Georgetown, Qld, and it was
looking pretty sad what with the drought and all.  While there, a council
worker told us that plans were in place for a toilet block.
Yesterday, we went out there and the toilets were in place, together with a
very nice viewing platform complete with binoculars over the waterbody.  And,
at least 25 caravans/campers and other assorted camping units.  With this many
non-birders with dogs and fires using this free campsite, we wonder how the
site will remain as a top birding spot.
The viewing platform is great as such, but with a bit of thought, it might have
been made to serve as a bird hide.

While on things, the boardwalk at Abbattoir Swamp has been very well re-built
from the derelict state it was in late last year.  Lloyd Neilsen comments about
the poor state of the site in his book, but at least some good work has been
done.  The swamp itself is filled with a tall grass of some sort which makes
the swamp not productive for birds.  We got the White-browed Crake on our first
visit, but there is no chance of any water birds as it is now. Hopefully, if it
isn't a natural thing, something can be done about that.  Adjacent cane fields
might be having an impact.

Peter and Bev Morgan

The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>