birding-aus

Swift Parrot (and survey weekend)

To: John Tongue <>, Annabel Ashworth <>
Subject: Swift Parrot (and survey weekend)
From: Mick Roderick via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 00:41:49 +0000
That is great Annabel - this is the northernmost record of Swift Parrots on the
mainland so far in 2016 (that has been reported to BirdLife anyway). Last year
the northernmost report was west of Armidale, yet in 2014 there were birds
right up as far north as near Bundaberg.
Most Swifty reports in NSW this year have been from the Far South Coast and
Hunter Valley, both in association with flowering Spotted Gums; the peak count
being 133 birds on the Singleton Training Area on the 30 June. There have been
numerous reports from the Hunter Economic Zone (HEZ) forests near Kurri Kurri
as well. Even though they are flowering to some extent the Spotted Gum is not
flowering like it did in 2012 unfortunately.
This weekend is the second of the biannual survey weekends for Regent
Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots. More info can be found at the link below:
http://birdlife.org.au/projects/woodland-birds-for-biodiversity/latest-news-wl
Mick