birding-aus

Double-eyed fig parrots

To: "" <>
Subject: Double-eyed fig parrots
From: Kirri Hardy via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 11:55:52 +0000
Hi all
Just came into service to write this.
Have been in Cape York area for the last 4 weeks. 3 days ago I was at Chilli
beach and heard a high pitched parrot call and followed the sound and found
about 5 or 6 Double-eyed fig parrots sitting in Sheoke trees on the edge of the
beach being very vocal and landing in a dead tree and hanging upside down and
nibbling something on the bark? Lichen? There was male and female,
And out in the open. It was a random sighting and my first of this species. I
was surprised as I thought I would find it difficult to find them and thought
they would be hidden in leaves and high up in fig trees or other fruiting trees
etc...
Anyone else found them out in the open like this?
Would like to hear you're thoughts on their behaviour
Thanks again
Kirri 😊

Sent from my iPhone
<HR>