birding-aus

ID: Mallard or Mallard X Black Duck?

To: 'Ryu Callaway' <>
Subject: ID: Mallard or Mallard X Black Duck?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 00:59:31 +0000
Ryu,

It clearly is of Mallard origin. However whether there is any Black Duck in its
ancestry, is hard to know. I suggest it is highly likely or most unlikely not
to be. Your question seems to be whether it is a first generation hybrid, but
that is not a relevant question.  It depends how far back in time or how many
generations you wish to go. So it might be parts per hundred or thousand down
several lines in its parental lineage between the 2 species. Mallards have been
feral in Australia for a long time (between 1 and 2 centuries I don't know).
Mallards have been domesticated for a long time so there is a lot of variation.
They are aggressive maters and interbreed easily and as far as I know hybrids
are fertile.

There is a lot of information on this on Google search for "Mallard hybrid
fertility" although most from USA. e.g. this one gives a lot of information
http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-biology/waterfowl-hybrids

Most is about Muscovy Duck hybrids which are far more different that our Black
Duck.

Philip