birding-aus

Bali bird call

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Bali bird call
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 14:55:07 +0000

Good morning all

A friend has asked if anyone can identify this bird heard in Bali.

> I have a bird puzzle for you but I am not sure it is an Australian resident.
> We are in central Bali and there  is bird I cannot identify. I wonder whether
> you have ever heard it..
> 1.      Nocturnal. One hour after dusk, during the night at infrequent
> intervals. Loud.
> 2.      I think it is a larger bird.
> 3.      Not a monotonous nightjar, not an owl… very different from the giant
> nightjar of Australia for instance
> 4.      The first thing you hear is a loud rustle of feathers. Reminds me of
> the display of the oropendola in South America, a colonial nester in hanging
> nests which mimics other bird calls.
> 5.      The rustle is followed by 4 or 5 separated calls “FOOK—uus” the
> second syllable descending.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW.

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Nominated by Earthfoot for Condé Nast’s International  Ecotourism Award, 2004.

With every introduction of a plant or animal that goes feral this continent
becomes a little less unique, a little less Australian.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>