birding-aus

Brahminy Kite - Macquarie Park (northern Sydney) 8 June 2016

To: birding aus <>, Tom Wilson <>
Subject: Brahminy Kite - Macquarie Park (northern Sydney) 8 June 2016
From: "" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:31:10 +0000
Hi Tom,
Very interesting..... I saw one in Newcastle a few years ago off Kooragang Is.

Maybe they are heading south like the Brush Turkeys and Cane Toads ????
Kind Regards,

Simon Hayes

---- Tom Wilson <> wrote:
> Hi all
      as I was recovering from my swim this morning and doing some stretches at
one end of the Macquarie Uni pool at about 8:20am this morning, all the Masked
Plovers and Noisy Miners went off. A raptor could be seen approaching from the
south (Epping Road).  It wasn’t a Sea-Eagle (too small) but looked like a kite.
 At first I thought it would be a Whistling Kite, but to my surprise as the
bird came closer I could see the clean white head and chestnut wings/body, so
very surprisingly (for Sydney) it was an adult Brahminy Kite.  I have never
seen a Brahminy Kite in the Sydney area before, and they are definitely not
common even on the southern end of Central Coast/Hawkesbury River to Sydney’s
north.
      I wasn’t sure if it was the recently reported Hawkesbury River bird on an
excursion or a storm refugee from further north heading home. (The birdline
moderator noted that the Brahminy Kite reported from Spencer on the Hawkesbury
River has not been seen for over 4 months, so it seems it was another storm
front refugee.)
      Birding can be so serendipitous - if it had come over about 3 minutes
earlier I would still have been ploughing up and down the pool and would
probably have missed it
      Cheers
      Tom Wilson

<HR>