birding-aus

Atlantic Odyssey 2016

To: 'Birding Aus' <>
Subject: Atlantic Odyssey 2016
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 23:10:31 +0000
I have just returned from the 34-day, 2016 Atlantic Odyssey cruise on the
"Plancius" run by Oceanwide Expeditions.  This long voyage, part of the
relocation of the vessel from Antarctic to Arctic duties started in Ushuaia,
Argentina and visited the South Atlantic British Islands of South Georgia,
Gough, Tristan da Cunha, Saint Helena and Ascension before unloading most
passengers at the Cape Verde Islands.  The per day cost is high but not as
high as other Antarctic trips because the ship has to move north at that
time anyway.

I saw most of the species on my wish-list including the two albatrosses and
the Northern Rockhopper Penguin, all of which are difficult to see outside
the region.  We were able to go ashore everywhere we wished except at
Inaccessible Island which lived up to its name.  The trip report and list of
all sightings for the voyage can be seen on the Wildwings website,
http://www.wildwings.co.uk/.  I did not see all species listed because I was
not out looking at all times of every day.  The weather was generally good
though birding was quite slow at times, especially on the Saint Helena to
Ascension and Ascension to Cape Verde legs.

I am happy to answer any queries about the voyage.

Regards,

Gil Langfield

Melbourne, Australia

<HR>