birding-aus

Rufous Owl, and habitat destruction

To: Mick Jerram <>, "" <>
Subject: Rufous Owl, and habitat destruction
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 23:47:58 +0000
One more try.

From: Birding-Aus  On Behalf Of Mick
Jerram
Sent: Friday, 25 March 2016 2:53 AM

Hi Folks

I was asked to survey a small block in Palmerston in the Buscall Ave drainage
channel from Sanctuary Lakes. It is a really nice bit of habitat, especially
for a Rufous Owl I found enjoying some prey (Bar-shoudered Dove possibly). Sad
thing is that this small amount of land has a proposal for development/clearing
for an Optus/Vodafone tower.  Its the last option from 3 proposed sites, the
others discounted because of what seems like access issues, i.e. no-track! The
submission period has expired, as usual, the development sign put up with less
than 2 weeks for people to notice and make submissions.  Some submissions were
forwarded, but there is a hope of community meetings occurring soon.
I don't know about everyone else, but I am concerned about how easily we are
succumbing to the destruction of of our local green belts?  If you are a
Palmerston resident or share the same concerns, Id be happy for you to contact
me.
Sorry to make this great sighting quite a negative report.
Sincerely  Mick

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>