birding-aus

re Waders China,

To: "" <>
Subject: re Waders China,
From: Barney Enders <>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 04:16:04 +0000
Judy regarding the Broadwater at Labrador, I’m fortunate to live overlooking
the area where the waders come to feed every day, but an interesting

thing I noted was we had an increasing number of pelicans before Christmas
up to 242 counted and at that time they disappeared only leaving 25 behind.

They have obviously gone out West to breed

They received 6 inches of rain around the Lake Eyre area on New Years Day
and another 3 ½ inches last week, with water entering Lake Eyre over this
time.

Has anyone been out there lately ? if so does anyone know if they are
nesting on Lake Eyre, Currawinya N. P.  Coongie Lakes,  Lake Yamma Yamma  or
anywhere else ?

There have been a few drifting back over the last two weeks, counted 38 this
morning before the hundreds of boats and DOGS arrived.

Has anyone worked out how they know to leave before the rains come or how do
they know where it has fallen and what lakes have water in them ?

When I was out there a few years ago a dead Pelican was found  with a leg
ring banded in W A .

Barney

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list